Wednesday, February 11, 2009

A Loom Looms!

Woo-hoo! I was the top bidder on a 36" Harrisville four-harness floor loom on eBay. I have wanted a floor loom since I was about five, when my Grandma Cross took me and a half dozen paper grocery bags of rolled-up rags out to see a weaver in the woods around Elkinsville. This lady had a huge loom on the back porch of her little hillbilly-style house, already warped and ready for my grandma's rags. I sat there on the porch and watched her turn those rags into rugs, and I have wanted to weave ever since.

Last year I took a weaving class at Yarns Unlimited in Bloomington and was really hooked, but life and the Foreign Service intervened and those trips to Bloomington got farther and farther apart. Now we will have a loom right here in Bedford. Too cool.

The loom is in California, so it will take some time to get it here, but stay tuned for weaving adventures. Save your old t-shirts and we'll make some rugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment